12V - 240V inverter/step up transformer
T.N.O.
2003-11-15 04:50:00 UTC
Anyone know anything about these...

I want one for my car to extend laptop life, and it appears cheaper to
get one of these, than to buy the cig lighter adaptor for the laptop.
Southern Kiwi
2003-11-15 04:55:33 UTC
Post by T.N.O.
Anyone know anything about these...
I want one for my car to extend laptop life, and it appears cheaper to
get one of these, than to buy the cig lighter adaptor for the laptop.
Yes I use one of these for my laptop, it charges as I drive along.
I'm not sure I would use it in the city with all the stop starting, but I
use it if I'm travelling for more than about 1 hour and it hasn't affected
the battery (memory effect) on my laptop yet.
--
Cheers
Southern Kiwi
southern_kiwi@*spamsucks*hotmail.com
T.N.O.
2003-11-15 04:59:17 UTC
Post by Southern Kiwi
Post by T.N.O.
Anyone know anything about these...
I want one for my car to extend laptop life, and it appears cheaper to
get one of these, than to buy the cig lighter adaptor for the laptop.
Yes I use one of these for my laptop, it charges as I drive along.
I'm not sure I would use it in the city with all the stop starting, but I
use it if I'm travelling for more than about 1 hour and it hasn't affected
the battery (memory effect) on my laptop yet.
Sorry, I should have been clearer(mind going faster than fingers)...
what sort, where from, and how much?
Gregory Parker
2003-11-15 05:03:47 UTC
On Sat, 15 Nov 2003 17:49:57 +1300, "T.N.O."
Post by T.N.O.
Anyone know anything about these...
I want one for my car to extend laptop life, and it appears cheaper to
get one of these, than to buy the cig lighter adaptor for the laptop.
No its not, get the Manufactures correct Adapter for the car..

A decent 240 converter will cost more..
Gregory Parker
2003-11-15 05:11:37 UTC
On Sat, 15 Nov 2003 17:59:11 +1300, "T.N.O."
Post by T.N.O.
Post by Southern Kiwi
Post by T.N.O.
Anyone know anything about these...
I want one for my car to extend laptop life, and it appears cheaper to
get one of these, than to buy the cig lighter adaptor for the laptop.
Yes I use one of these for my laptop, it charges as I drive along.
I'm not sure I would use it in the city with all the stop starting, but I
use it if I'm travelling for more than about 1 hour and it hasn't affected
the battery (memory effect) on my laptop yet.
Sorry, I should have been clearer(mind going faster than fingers)...
what sort, where from, and how much?
DSE..

150w one and a 300w one..

$138 & $128 on Special

Both are Chinese Digitor crap..
T.N.O.
2003-11-15 05:15:15 UTC
Post by Gregory Parker
No its not, get the Manufactures correct Adapter for the car..
A decent 240 converter will cost more..
This is going to come across a little weird, but I dont need a decent
240v converter, just one that will do.

The battery is shagged(it is an old laptop) and only used for ummm,
discovering wireless networks, but the battery only lasts about 30 mins
or so... as such, I just want something cheap that "will do" to keep it
running a bit longer...
Richard Malcolm-Smith
2003-11-15 08:20:47 UTC
Post by T.N.O.
This is going to come across a little weird, but I dont need a decent
240v converter, just one that will do.
The battery is shagged(it is an old laptop) and only used for ummm,
discovering wireless networks, but the battery only lasts about 30 mins
or so... as such, I just want something cheap that "will do" to keep it
running a bit longer...
I bought a 300watt one on trademe for the same purpose, but it blew up when I
tried to run 2 laptops off of it at once, each was only about 70 watts so was
well within spec of it.

Might open it and see whats wrong with it one day
Gregory Parker
DSE have 2 types one 150w and a 300w one..
E. Scrooge
2003-11-15 09:39:55 UTC
On Sat, 15 Nov 2003 21:20:40 +1300, Richard Malcolm-Smith
Post by T.N.O.
This is going to come across a little weird, but I dont need a decent
240v converter, just one that will do.
The battery is shagged(it is an old laptop) and only used for ummm,
discovering wireless networks, but the battery only lasts about 30 mins
or so... as such, I just want something cheap that "will do" to keep it
running a bit longer...
I bought a 300watt one on trademe for the same purpose, but it blew up when I
tried to run 2 laptops off of it at once, each was only about 70 watts so was
well within spec of it.
Might open it and see whats wrong with it one day
DSE have 2 types one 150w and a 300w one..
They have a 650w one as well - just under $300 from memory.

E. Scrooge
Jerry
2003-11-15 10:07:55 UTC
On Sat, 15 Nov 2003 22:39:51 +1300, "E. Scrooge"
Post by T.N.O.
This is going to come across a little weird, but I dont need a decent
240v converter, just one that will do.
The battery is shagged(it is an old laptop) and only used for ummm,
discovering wireless networks, but the battery only lasts about 30 mins
or so... as such, I just want something cheap that "will do" to keep it
running a bit longer...
I bought a 300watt one on trademe for the same purpose, but it blew up
when I
Post by Richard Malcolm-Smith
tried to run 2 laptops off of it at once, each was only about 70 watts so
was
Post by Richard Malcolm-Smith
well within spec of it.
Might open it and see whats wrong with it one day
DSE have 2 types one 150w and a 300w one..
They have a 650w one as well - just under $300 from memory.
How warm does that get your car wiring?

Jerry
E. Scrooge
2003-11-15 10:23:00 UTC
Post by T.N.O.
[...]
I didn't say that I had bought one, only that they stock it.

http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/3fb5ff090cf4d6ae273fc0a87f99074b/Product/View/M5102

E. Scrooge
Rupert
2003-11-15 18:36:33 UTC
have a look at the teleadapt one - I got one for when flying, though there
is a cig adaptor with it

http://www.euroshop.teleadapt.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ExecMacro/wt/Search.d2w/results?search=inflightpower&category=4021&category1=4021&word1=inflightpower#

or http://tinyurl.com/v4yu
Dave
2003-11-15 18:57:46 UTC
"Richard Malcolm-Smith" <***@ihug.co.nz> wrote in message news:bp4nkv$olu$***@lust.ihug.co.nz...
snip
Post by Richard Malcolm-Smith
I bought a 300watt one on trademe for the same purpose, but it blew up when I
tried to run 2 laptops off of it at once, each was only about 70 watts so was
well within spec of it.
Most reliable 12v - 240 Volt invertor on the market would still likely be a
Redfern Radio unit. He's been making them for years and years using reliable
and efficient old technology. There are some things the "old school" still
do better where pride, reliability and service comes before profit.
dW
Phillip Weston
2003-11-15 20:52:07 UTC
Post by T.N.O.
This is going to come across a little weird, but I dont need a decent
240v converter, just one that will do.
The battery is shagged(it is an old laptop) and only used for ummm,
discovering wireless networks, but the battery only lasts about 30 mins
or so... as such, I just want something cheap that "will do" to keep it
running a bit longer...
I bought a 300watt one on trademe for the same purpose, but it blew up
when I
Post by Richard Malcolm-Smith
tried to run 2 laptops off of it at once, each was only about 70 watts so
was
Post by Richard Malcolm-Smith
well within spec of it.
Might open it and see whats wrong with it one day
DSE have 2 types one 150w and a 300w one..
They have a 650w one as well - just under $300 from memory.
How warm does that get your car wiring?
You could always connect it direct to the battery with some thick
wire.

--
Phillip Weston
Taumarunui, New Zealand

E. Scrooge
2003-11-15 22:24:29 UTC
Post by T.N.O.
[...]
Probably needs a good heavy duty battery. I wonder how hard these things
are on car battery if the car isn't running at the time?

E. Scrooge
Phillip Weston
2003-11-15 23:36:41 UTC
On Sun, 16 Nov 2003 11:26:00 +1300, "E. Scrooge"
<***@ieyehug.co.nz (remove eye)> scribbled:

<snip>
Post by E. Scrooge
Post by Phillip Weston
Post by Jerry
Post by E. Scrooge
Post by Gregory Parker
DSE have 2 types one 150w and a 300w one..
They have a 650w one as well - just under $300 from memory.
How warm does that get your car wiring?
You could always connect it direct to the battery with some thick
wire.
--
Phillip Weston
Probably needs a good heavy duty battery. I wonder how hard these things
are on car battery if the car isn't running at the time?
That's true. I see most of the modern japanese cars have tiny
batteries. My '89 Galant has a mother of a battery. I accidentally
(with the keys in the ignition so the beeper never went off) left my
lights on, on high beam for 4 hours and the car still turned over fine
when I went to start it.

You could also just turn the inverter off when you wish too.

--
Phillip Weston
Taumarunui, New Zealand

Richard Malcolm-Smith
2003-11-16 01:21:08 UTC
Post by E. Scrooge
Probably needs a good heavy duty battery. I wonder how hard these things
are on car battery if the car isn't running at the time?
I was gettnig about an hour out of it before the low battery cutout kicked in,
Still plenty left in the battery to start the car. That was with 1 laptop

Thats on a car battery smaller then any I have seen before. I think one laptop
is about 60-70 watts.
Uncle StoatWarbler
2003-11-16 01:29:48 UTC
Post by T.N.O.
Anyone know anything about these...
I want one for my car to extend laptop life, and it appears cheaper to
get one of these, than to buy the cig lighter adaptor for the laptop.
Go look at dickhead smiths. There's a reasonable range there and they seem
to be reasonably proced (surprisingly, it's DSE after all)
Uncle StoatWarbler
2003-11-16 01:31:20 UTC
Look at the ratings on the average laptop PSU. Most are only 40W or so...
T.N.O.
2003-11-16 03:32:06 UTC
Post by Phillip Weston
You could also just turn the inverter off when you wish too.
well it will only be used when Im out driving, searching for ummm,
networks, and the car will be left running.

Page 1 of 3