jpkiwigeek
Lawrence D'Oliveiro
2024-03-23 03:36:25 UTC
Originally from NZ, he lives in the US somewhere with a huge barn, full of
vintage computing hardware, plus a small corner where his wife can do her
scrapbooking <https://www.youtube.com/@jpkiwigeek>.

The channel hasn’t been inactive in some years. Somewhere in there you
will see his attempts at getting a monstrous SGI server cluster,
consisting of 5 graphics/video units coupled to 5 computing units (each
the size of, say, a hotel room minifridge), to start up properly with one
computing unit always consistently in control, until he has to give up
because the power supply has failed.

Still trying to understand the point of that 1990s hardware with
multiboard graphics units positively bristling with video connections--I
think they were to do real-time graphics rendering direct to videotape.
David Goodwin
2024-03-25 04:58:52 UTC
Post by Lawrence D'Oliveiro
Originally from NZ, he lives in the US somewhere with a huge barn, full of
vintage computing hardware, plus a small corner where his wife can do her
The channel hasn?t been inactive in some years. Somewhere in there you
will see his attempts at getting a monstrous SGI server cluster,
consisting of 5 graphics/video units coupled to 5 computing units (each
the size of, say, a hotel room minifridge), to start up properly with one
computing unit always consistently in control, until he has to give up
because the power supply has failed.
Still trying to understand the point of that 1990s hardware with
multiboard graphics units positively bristling with video connections--I
think they were to do real-time graphics rendering direct to videotape.
Meanwhile I believe Mike Ross at some point moved *to* New Zealand
bringing some part (all?) of his collection with him:
http://www.corestore.org/compute.htm
Lawrence D'Oliveiro
2024-03-25 05:42:06 UTC
Post by David Goodwin
Meanwhile I believe Mike Ross at some point moved *to* New Zealand
http://www.corestore.org/compute.htm
That’s a pretty terrifying collection to bring to such a small country ...

Any idea where he’s ended up?
David Goodwin
Wellington area IIRC
Lawrence D'Oliveiro
2024-03-26 06:15:01 UTC
Post by David Goodwin
Post by Lawrence D'Oliveiro
Any idea where he’s ended up?
Wellington area IIRC
Hmm, wonder what’s happened to the building in Paraparaumu that used to
house the (sadly gone) Len Southward Motor Museum ...

... that might be big enough ...